Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bedazzled by "The Kung-Fu Divas"

I watched "Kung Fu Divas" last Sunday, October 6, 2013 at the Eastwood City with Jameson Tayguts (who happens to be Marian's avid fan). As usual, I waited for the V.I.P. to arrive. The "Gu Jun Pyo waiting in the snow" has always been my "peg". Hahaha! I was kinda looking forward to watch the movie because the trailer captivated my interest. My expectations were not too much but it should be good because it's a Star Cinema movie and it should be interesting because it's Marian's first movie with her home network's rival. It was the last full show (10:50 PM) at the Eastwood Mall Cinema 4 so I wasn't really expecting a lot of people anymore.

A lot of Filipino movie-goers will definitely say that our local fantasy/ adventure films are mediocre in the aspect of special effects or at worst, below-par as compared with international blockbuster movies. Personally, I believe that "Kung Fu Divas" will pave the way for local producers and the movie industry to produce more realistic and astounding effects in movies. (Just consider the upcoming remake of "Darna" and "Magic Temple")

The movie doesn't merely offer dazzling and magical special effects but it touches the heart. It will make you laugh and cry as it depicts the struggles, conflicts and the epic journey of the two main characters - Charlotte (played by AiAi Delas Alas) and Samantha (played by Marian Rivera), who were rivals at first then became allies in the end. It was indeed a roller coaster ride. The flashbacks were effectively executed. The cinematography and digital effects were breathtaking. The production design was superb and costumes were craftfully fabricated. The musical score was very appropriate. The fight scenes were choreographed intricately.

The big question is, who's the better actress? Well, I really couldn't compare AiAi and Marian because they are two different styles. What I love about AiAi is her ability to transition from moments of intense drama to sudden comedic lines. Whereas, Marian is a natural actress who was not trying hard and delivered what is needed from her. Marian was able to prove that she is a versatile actress. I'm learning to love her day by day. I hope she does more movies with Star Cinema. By the way, the guy, Edward Mendez, was hot. He will definitely, make the girls' panties drop. Hahaha.

I also love the twists in the movie. Well, I won't reveal the details as it may spoil the interest and excitement. You'll never imagine Samantha's evolution in the movie. Hahaha! So you better watch it! Expect the unexpected.

I really couldn't pin-point my favorite part but the beauty pageant scene was remarkable. Marian was so stunning! It was very fun to watch. The fighting scenes in the end were kinda draggish. But that's ok because all the positive points of the movie compensated for it.

My verdict? Hmmmm... 9.9/10 stars. Highly-recommended! I really hope the movie does well. I read somewhere in FB that it needs to hit the P150 million mark to make up for its expenses and achieve its target profit. Some people say it earned P5 million during the first day, some say P10 million while the others say it's already in the P100 million mark. I can't wait to see the figures in Box Office Mojo.Post Movie:

After the movie, Tayguts and I went for a videoke at the Karaoke Republic in Timog. Tayguts seemed to be very tensed while singing. Hello? it's just me, no reason to be tensed at all! Hahaha. This time, the Sunrise Tequila was kinda strong ( well, better than the plain "orange juice" taste last time). I feel i'm becoming a better singer. Hahahaha. Anyway, the videoke session was kinda bitin because the staff were seemed to be rushing home. Next stop was Starbucks Metrowalk. It was almost 5 Am and while on board the taxi to Starbucks, a Christmas Song is being played...then tears suddenly started to flow from someone's eyes...Hehehe...I don't wanna go into details anymore as he might kill me if I say it here. I just want to let you know that I'm here! (hehe and now I'm the one teary-eyed). Moving forward, it was a nice talk about the past while having our Frappe and puffing some ciggy. And off course, there were a lot of debates, arguments, exchanges. These are inevitable when we're together. While morning sun is stinging my eyes, we diverted into throwing out some Trivias. It was like competing in giving out a trivia with that "WOW factor". I have to accept that my trivias were kinda lame because my mind wasn't really working at that time. Jameson Tayguts did great! Whay was there no Mercury in any SM mall? Where did "Pasig" originated from? Who is the "Divine" Princess? What's the richest country in the world?...and so on and so forth. Ikaw na! It was fun, we didn't even notice it's almost lunch time. Our final itinerary was Chowking Cubao. Tayguts had his meal while I was trying so hard to finish my halo-halo. My tummy felt so heavy and I felt like vomitting. Discussion was all about job interview! Possible questions and answers. Good Luck Tayguts! Soar high! I believe in you! hehehe. Pack-up at 12 NN (after 17 hours). Whatta Sunday!!!

Watch the trailer here:



No comments:

Post a Comment